Wednesday 11 February 2009

042:365 Human Resources

Todays image is one from a selection that i shot for my college project.

My original intention was to shoot all the portraits in a low key style, but I have since realised that the low key style really isn't flattering to the ladies that i've shot and the more even lighting that i used for the digital shots, and to ensure i had a good image from the shoot, is much more flattering.

I'm contemplating the future for my project, but it's looking likely that i will shoot the ladies in one style and the gents in another as it's much more suited to that.

I also need to do some playing about with the settings as the DOF on the Large Format means that i'm losing too much detail in these close up shots.

This image is of the lovely Joanne, one of the volunteers from a group of HR staff who kindly offered to help me out and sit for my project.

2 comments:

  1. Just a bit of randomness really, but to me this could be considered low key, tonal range mid to dark/black, where as high key would be mid to light/white.
    Softly lit low key as opposed to a more classic low key with higher contrast/moody lighting? As you say, you cannot Pigeon hole everything.
    Maybe a bit of a gray area (no pun intended honest!)
    I do agree though that softer light is generally more suited to female portrait.

    Aye, that LF DOF can be a tricky wee bugger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol yeah LF DOF really is a WEE bugger, i reckon i'll end up shooting these portraits at around f16 which is just mental.

    ReplyDelete